In May, we observe Healthy Vision Month with the focus on encouraging early detection and treatment as well as eye safety to avoid eye problems. According to the National Eye Institute, which sponsors Healthy Vision Month, “millions of people living in the United States have undetected vision problems, eye diseases and conditions.” Along with having a regular eye exam, there are other easy ways to keep your vision in top shape. Simple Tips for Healthy Eyes
- Have a comprehensive dilated eye exam – the best way to detect eye diseases in their early stages.
- Know your family’s eye health history.
- Eat for your eyes. Incorporate dark, leafy greens and omega-3 fatty acids into your diet.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Obesity can lead to diseases like diabetes, which result in vision problems.
- Use protective eyewear when playing sports, doing yard work or construction projects.
- Don’t smoke.
- Wear shades – protect your eyes from UV rays.
- Give your eyes a rest. Especially if you work at a computer all day, take regular breaks and blink to reduce eye fatigue and strain.