May Is Healthy Vision Month: Keep an Eye on Your Vision
May is Healthy Vision Month and offers up a great opportunity to learn about eye health and to make sure you and your family recognize the importance of regular comprehensive eye exams as a way to maintain healthy vision.
According to the National Eye Institute, millions of Americans are at risk for vision loss due to eye disease. Early detection and treatment are the keys to preventing vision loss. Most of us would agree that eyesight has a huge impact on day-to-day life and is one of the senses many of us fear losing the most. Unfortunately, many people don’t often pay attention to their eye health unless they notice an obvious problem or issue. Many of the most common eye diseases such as age-related macular degeneration and glaucoma, present virtually no symptoms, or symptoms that are so slight they go unnoticed. That’s why it is important to schedule regular comprehensive eye exams for you and your family.
Regular eye examinations to ensure that eyes are healthy and seeing their best are important for everyone, but the risk of blindness and vision loss is increased for some individuals based on factors such as race, ethnicity as well as other demographic and socioeconomic factors.
Along with having regular eye exams, there are other easy ways for you to keep your vision healthy. Here some quick and easy tips for maintaining healthy eyes:
- Eat healthy by incorporating dark, leafy greens and omega-3 fatty acids into your diet.
- Use protective eye wear when playing sports, working in the yard and during construction projects.
- Know your family’s eye health history.
- Don’t smoke. If you do smoke, quit.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Obesity can lead to such diseases as diabetes, which can result in vision problems.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from unhealthy UV rays.
- Be sure to give your eyes a rest. Especially if you spend lots of your time working on a computer. Take regular breaks and blink to help reduce eye strain.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.