You don’t need to be an ophthalmologist to understand the importance of healthy vision in all aspects of your life, from your work to your precious family moments. From the time we are born, our instincts direct us to use our eyes to develop a nurturing bond with those closest to us. Your love life is no different. After all, the eyes have been called the “windows to the soul.” Even as adults, our eyes still have the amazing capability to communicate without saying a word.
With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, I have a few fun tips to make it extra memorable:
- Wear or re-create the outfit you wore when you first locked eyes. Maybe you still have the sweater you wore or you have something similar. Jog his or her visual memory by refashioning your first “look.” You might be reminded of the way you felt in your exciting first moments together. Better yet, make it a surprise and see if your partner notices!
- Turn off your phones and zero in on eye contact instead. In recent years, studies have suggested a correlation between the rise of smartphones and a decrease in eye contact among adults. One simple and totally cost-free way to say “I love you” this Valentine’s Day is to vow to put the phone away and focus solely on your better half.
- Skip the movie. Your significant other might be easy on the eyes, but your smartphone, tablet, TV, and computer screen are not! Too much screen time under the wrong lighting and working conditions can put a strain on your eyes, leading to discomfort, dryness, or even blurred vision. Enjoy a much-needed break together and unplug. Play a board game, look at wedding photos together, or take a romantic stroll in the fresh air.
- Share a healthy dinner. Show just how much you care by considering your partner’s health when planning your Valentine’s Day meal. Earn some bonus points by choosing foods that promote healthy vision, such as salmon, walnuts, and dark, leafy greens. Check out this delicious and simple option from the Huffington Post for a little inspiration!
- Give the ultimate gift: surprise him or her with LASIK. Has your significant other expressed a desire to correct his or her eyesight with LASIK? Give the life-changing gift of clear vision. Many couples find that LASIK allows them to enjoy their favorite activities –from outdoor sports to cuddling on the sofa — without the limitations of glasses or contacts. There’s also the added benefit for both of you of reduced stress and worry, not to mention the cumulative expense of glasses and contacts. If you’d like to learn more about LASIK, contact my office in Charleston, SC today.