Getting LASIK surgery and have young children at home? Ashley, one of our patients, says her choice to have LASIK surgery is among the best decisions she’s ever made. No more having a child grab at your glasses, or spending time looking for them as you’re trying to get out the door. And the experience of having Dr. Kerry Solomon perform LASIK surgery is worth the trip from Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, or even Savannah, GA.
After having the procedure, Ashley says, “I can get up and go without having to worry about my glasses. I would highly recommend to all my friends and family to have the LASIK procedure with Dr. Kerry Solomon.”
Parents with younger children need to plan ahead to make sure the recovery goes well. Ashley, like other busy moms, rarely has time for herself. She shared some suggestions for parents considering LASIK surgery:
- Plan childcare for both the day of and the morning after your surgery. Even though most patients experience only minor side effects following LASIK surgery, Dr. Solomon has his patients return to see him the morning after the procedure so he can examine their eyes and assess their vision.
- Create a quiet space at home so you can rest during the first 24 hours after surgery. Dr. Solomon recommends sleeping for at least 4 hours when you return home after surgery because most patients’ eyes feel scratchy and uncomfortable.
- Make sure you have reliable transportation to and from the procedure (and follow-up appointments.) This probably seems obvious, but plan as soon as possible to get a ride to the follow-up appointment the day after the surgery (in addition to the surgery itself.)
- Have all the pre- and post-operative care products stored in a safe place, away from the reach of curious children. This includes eye drops and any other medications recommended by Dr. Solomon, along with protective eyewear that needs to be worn while sleeping.
- Have a conversation with your children about the procedure. The details of this talk depend on your children’s ages, but it’s important to explain that the surgery is something you chose to have and that you aren’t ill. Also, they’ll probably be curious about why you’re no longer wearing glasses!
Ashley is just one of our patients who has generously shared her experience in a video. You can watch additional patients tell their LASIK stories on Dr. Solomon’s YouTube channel.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.